Benefits of Oil Heat
Feel the Oil Heat difference! Oil Heat offers consistency and comfort “you can feel the difference” but comfort is only one of the many benefits of heating with oil …
Inside your home, a new oil burner will release near zero levels of smoke and combustion discharge. In fact, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently issued a report stating that oil burners are now one of the cleanest combustion sources available. New oil furnaces operate as cleanly as gas or propane models, and are significantly cleaner than wood-burning stoves.
Oil delivers more heat per unit of energy (measured in BTUs) than other fuels a gallon of oil delivers 140,000 BTUs, while gas delivers only 100,000 BTUs per therm. So don’t be misled by claims that a fuel other than oil is a cheaper way to heat your home! One therm of gas does not generate as much heat as a gallon of oil.
Over the last 20 years, residential gas prices in New Jersey and Pennsylvania have soared over 163%.
In New Jersey alone, residential gas prices have increased 123% in just the last 7 years. (Source: U.S. Energy Information Agency).
Increased reliance on natural gas for electric generation and industrial processing will significantly increase demand over the next several years and prices will likely increase even more with this new demand.
Important Benefits of Oil Heat
- Oil Heat Gives You Peace of Mind – With oil heat, you store it safely on your own property. You have your own supply of fuel on hand, on demand, regardless of the weather. During severe cold spells, gas pipelines may be subject to pressure drops that can lead to total loss of heat.
- Oil Heat Gives You a Choice – You select a local dealer based on your personal preferences and needs. Local dealers work toward providing excellent fuel delivery service and many offer other services such as cleaning, repairs and maintenance contracts. Because oil is sold on a competitive consumer basis, you can switch providers at any time.
- If you are not satisfied with service, price or other factors you can simply change dealers. With public utilities you do not have the same level of control. You must stay with the same supplier regardless of whether service, price or convenience meet your needs and budget.
- Oil Heat Has Minimal Requirements – No current law or regulation requires the removal of a properly functioning heating oil tank that is currently installed and in service. This includes tanks stored in homeowners’ basements, garages, outdoors, or even below grade. This means homeowners are exempt from regulations or deadlines for upgrade that now affect other types of underground tank systems.
- Oil Heat Allows You to Upgrade for More Savings – A new oil heat furnace or boiler can provide even greater long-term savings. Upgrading your system can save up to 40% of fuel costs. This offers a potential payback period of less than five years.
- Millions of Families Enjoy the Benefits of Oil Heat – In North America, over 14 million homes and businesses enjoy comfort, safety, economy and efficiency of heating with oil.
Features and Advantages of Choosing Oil Heat
- Oil Heat is Clean – New oil burners release near zero levels of smoke and combustion debris within your home. The EPA reports that oil burners are now one of the cleanest combustion sources. New oil furnaces are significantly cleaner than wood- or coal-burning stoves and they operate as cleanly as natural or propane gas models.
- Oil Heat is Efficient – A gallon of oil delivers 140,000 BTUs. Gas delivers only 100,000 BTUs per therm.
- Oil Heat is Comfortable – Heating oil creates the hottest flame of any home heating fuel (400 degrees HOTTER than gas), so your home heats up faster and needs less fuel to maintain temperature, so it feels more comfortable.
- Oil Heat is Safe – Home heating oil won’t burn in a liquid state ~ it is nonexplosive until vaporized. A lighted match dropped into a container of liquid heating oil will extinguish itself. In order to ignite home heating oil, it must be heated to above 140°F, the temperature at which it begins to vaporize. Leaking oil will not explode or ignite while in liquid form. Click here to read Facts on Safety from the American Energy Coalition.
- Oil Heat is Environmentally Friendly – Storage of residential tanks poses no threat to health or the environment, and tanks that are properly maintained can last for decades. Heating oil is nontoxic, contains no carcinogens, and is biodegradable.
- Oil Heat is Convenient – Your dealer analyzes your usage patterns, fuel tank size and weather patterns to establish automatic deliveries to your home. This keeps your home comfortable and your fuel supply uninterrupted regardless of the weather or pipeline conditions.